The problem: Varroa mite (Varroa destructor) is an increasing problem in UK honey bee hives. This bee parasite lives on the bees and within the hives feeding on the bees. Attack from varroa mite can weaken bees making them less able to do their job and support the colony, it also makes the bees more susceptible to disease. Hives with significant infestation levels of varroa will produce less honey, be in poorer condition and are less likely to survive through winter.
The product: Oxuvar 5.7% can be mixed with water and used as a spray application for autumn/winter and/or spring/summer treatments against varroa mite when temperatures are above 8°C.
- Registered for use in UK with VMD
- Formulation leaves no gluing of wings or hairs
- High efficacy >95%
How to use:
Spray applications of Oxuvar 5.7% should be made to broodless colonies whilst outdoor temperatures are above 8°C. Oxuvar 5.7% is prepared into a ready-to-use 3% oxalic acid dihydrate spraying solution.
1. Open the sealed container and add the required amount of tap water:
- Add 275 g sugar to the 275g Oxuvar bottle
- Add 900 ml to the 1 kg Oxuvar bottle
2. Close the container and shake well.
3. Fill hand sprayer with required volume of solution.
4. Apply a maximum of 80 ml per hive (2-4 ml over each side of the comb which is covered in bees).
Note: If during the winter application period cooler temperatures are being experienced (below 8°C) a trickle application of Oxuvar 5.7% may be more suitable.