The problem: The Box tree moth (Cydalima perspectalis) is a devastating pest of box plants (Boxus spp.). Caterpillar feeding on the leaves can result in complete defoliation and die back of the plant. Additionally, the white webbing ‘tents’ created by the caterpillars whilst feeding ruin the aesthetics of these ornamental plants.
The product: Trapping adult moths alerts users to the presence of the pest and determine if further control action is required.
- Traps and kills box tree moths
- Compact design makes this trap more discrete than larger traps whilst maintaining same high level of moth attraction
- Does not contain chemical pesticides
- Trap is re-usable for multiple seasons with the addition of fresh pheromone attractant
- Allows you to take action to protect plants before visible caterpillar feeding appears
How to use: The trap should be used when adult moths are expected to be active (April to October) and setup in an area where susceptible plants are growing.
- Add 5 cm of water and a drop of detergent to the clear base of the trap to prevent trapped moths escaping.
- Open the sachet containing the pheromone lure and place the lure in the cage at the top of the trap. The pheromone lure should be replaced every 6 weeks.
- Hang the trap 1.5 – 2.0 meters above the ground.
- Check the trap weekly. Empty and replace the water.
At the end of the season, dispose of used lures store the trap away from light and frost for future use. Note: For future use, new pheromone lures can be purchased to use with existing traps.