The problem: Varroa mite (Varroa destructor) is an increasing problem in UK honey bee hives. Year round programs are needed to protect a hive from this parasite. One treatment option during low flight periods (winter) is with oxalic acid dihydrate crystals. When exposed to heat, these crystals evaporate and effectively fumigate the inside of the hive.
The product: High quality vaporizer for efficient application of oxalic acid dihydrate crystal products. Especially useful for saving time when treating multiple hives.
- Tried and trusted brand
- Durable design for use over multiple years
- Metal plate to hold Varrox vaporizer in place during application
- 3m connecting cable to reduce the need to move the battery power source
How to use:
Varrox vaporizer can be used whenever it is suitable to apply oxalic acid dihydrate.
- Add the required volume of oxalic acid dihydrate crystals to the Varrox vaporizer
- Pass the Varrox vaporizer into the bottom of the hive through the flight opening until the support plate disappears.
- Seal the flight opening with cloth.
- Connect the Varrox vaporizer to the car battery for 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- Disconnect from the car battery and leave within the hive for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the Varrox vaporizer from the hive. Ensure the flight opening remains sealed for a further 10 minutes.
Note: After removing from a hive, cool the Varrox vaporizer in a bucket of water before next use to ensure oxalic acid dihydrate crystals do not start to evaporate from residual heat before the unit is connected to the battery.