The problem: The black vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) can feed on over 200 species of plants and is a common pest. Nocturnal adults feed on plant leaves leaving characteristic semi-circle notches around their edge. This is rarely enough to cause reduced plant vigour, however is a sign that plant roots should be checked for the presence of larvae. The root-feeding larvae are a significant problem because they reduce the plants ability to take up water and nutrients. Often the first sign of black vine weevil larvae is wilting plants due to significant root damage.
Traditionally adults emerge from May to July when a female has the potential to lay up to 1,500 eggs. After hatching the white bodied, brown headed legless larvae develop in the soil, pupate the following spring before adults emerge again from May. However, a combination of milder winters and increased use of protected growing has meant this lifecycle is no longer as structured and larvae may be present at any time during the year.
The product: Beneficial nematodes are naturally occurring micro-scopic worms which move through the soil to hunt weevil larvae, infect them and then once inside kill them.
- Treats up to 10 square meters of soil or 175 pots of 26 cm (7.5 L).
- Can be used on all plants black vine weevil damage including; strawberry, raspberry, Fuchsia and Rhododendron
- Easy to use; mix in watering can or use a hose end sprayer
- Does not contain chemical pesticides
- Suitable for organic growing
How to use: Product contains living nematodes and should be used as soon as possible. Fresh is best!
- Store package in fridge (4°C) until use. Do not freeze.
- If applying with a watering, mix contents of pack in a bucket containing 1.5 L of water.
- Add one third of the bucket contents to a watering can and fill the watering can with additional water.
- Apply to one third of the area to be treated through a coarse rose. Then repeat the above two steps until all product is used.
- If applying with a hose end sprayer, mix with water and add to the applicator. Apply evenly over area to be treated.
- After applying nematodes, additional water should be applied to the treated area to wash nematodes into the soil.
- Use the entire pack in one go. Do not store opened packs or made up solutions.
- Soil should be kept moist for 2 weeks after application to help the nematodes work.