Pack of 2 x 5 strips (total 10 strips). Expiry dates of either Nov 2024 or Mar 2026. Varroa mite treatment strips containing 15 g thymol. Thymovar strips gradually release thymol into the hive which kills varroa mite without harming the honey bees. Approved for use in the UK by Veterinary medicine Directorate (VMD). Pack contains 2 sachets each with 5 strips, enough to treat up to 5 hives.
When is best to use?
After honey harvest.
The problem: Varroa mite (Varroa destructor) is an increasing problem in UK honey bee hives. This bee parasite lives on the bees and within the hives feeding on the bees. Attack from varroa mite can weaken bees making them less able to do their job and support the colony, it also makes the bees more susceptible to disease. Hives with significant infestation levels of varroa will produce less honey, be in poorer condition and are less likely to survive through winter.
The product: Thymovar are cellulose sponge strips containing 15g Thymol, a natural plant oil. Thymol is toxic to varroa mite but not bees therefore kills the mite parasites without harming the bees.
- Registered for use in UK with VMD
- Solid sponge with integrated netting for stability
- Easy to apply, simply lay strips within the hive
How to use:
Thymovar should be used after honey harvest.
- Remove honey frames for harvest.
- Provide bees with enough food for the treatment duration of 4 weeks.
- Remove Thymovar strips from packaging, they can be broken in half for easier placement.
- Position strips within 4-10cm of the brood cells. Ensure there is 1-2 cm above the strips to allow for good evaporation. The number of strips to be applied will depend on the size of hive (see product label).
- Remove the strips after 3-4 weeks. Pause for 1 week to allow replenishing of food then start the second treatment.
Note: If temperatures are expected to be more than 30°C start with a lower dose and then complete the dose after 3-7 days.
Thymovar works with a delayed action, increased fall of Varroa will only be observed after 2 days of being placed in the hive.
|Shelf life||Expiry date of current batch: Nov 2023. See use by date on packaging. Use all strips immediately after opening sachet.|
|Use||Product is best used directly after honey harvest and when temperatures are 20-25°C.|
|Important information||Thymovar is registered for use with VMD in the UK for treatment of varroosis on honey bees due to varroa mites Marketing authorisation number: Vm: 36234/4000. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. When handling the product, wear impermeable gloves|
|Active substance and content||Thymovar strips contain 15% Thymol.|
|Product size||Each strip is 50 x 145 x 4.3 mm and therefore approximately 50 x 72.5 x 4.3 mm when broken in half for application.|
Approved for use in the UK by Veterinary medicine Directorate (VMD)
Easy to apply
simply lay strips within the hive
about the product