Orange plastic ferrules to allow you to make your own large Asian Hornet trap. Specifically designed to allow hornets to enter but not catch wasps or bumble bees. Once through the ferrule, the Asian Hornet will be trapped in the container unable to escape. See more about this exciting project here.
When is it best to use?
Can be used year-round, but Asian Hornet are mostly a problem between March and November.
Asian hornets (Vespa velutina) are an invasive non-native pest species to the UK. Gradually spreading across Europe after their accidental introduction into France around 2024 from their native South-East Asia, they pose a significant risk to native UK wildlife and honey bees. As a high risk invasive insect species, the UK authorities have a monitoring and control program to identify the pest and prevent it establishing in the UK.
Asian Hornet Trap Ferrules are designed to be used to convert any large plastic container into a high volume Asian Hornet trap. The ferrules start as 1 inch diameter funnels narrowing to an entrance large enough for hornets to enter but not allow them to escape once insde the container. The ferrules have been designed to prevent larger insects such as bumble bees to enter the trap, and allow wasps which enter the trap to escape to improve the ease of identification of Asian Hornet captures.
How to use:
The ferrules can be used to convert any large lidded container into an Asian Hornet trap. Positioned around the outside of the container, any number of ferrules can be used on a container. Andermatt recommends one trap entrance ferrule per side of the container.
- Simply drill a one inch hole in the side of the container. The hole should be positioned about half way up the side.
- Insert one ferrule into the hole until it clicks firmly into position.
- Remove the lid of the container and add a bee repelling wasp attractant such as Andermatt Liquid Wasp Attractant.
- Fasten the lid of the container, the only way in an out will now be through the ferrules.
- Using a transparent plastic container allows easy visual monitoring of how many Asian Hornets have been caught in the trap and when the contained liquid wasp attractant is in need of refilling.
After use, the ferrules can be removed from the plastic container, cleaned and stored for future use.
Note: Using a wasp attractant which contains a bee repellent allows the ferrule Asian Hornet trap to be used in close proximity to bees without the risk of accidental catches.
|Store||Clean and store in a dry place when not in use.|
|Shelf life||Not applicable.|
|Use||Traps hornets (including Asian Hornet).|
|Important information||Not applicable.|
|Product size||4 Ferrules.|